We take on the toughest cases because we can. It's what we do.
Medical Malpractice resulting in cerebral palsy
Cerebral palsy is a medical condition that occurs in newborns when a part of the brain responsible for muscle control is damaged during birth. Medical mistakes can be the cause of cerebral palsy. If you suspect something may have gone wrong before, during, or after delivery of your child that resulted in cerebral palsy, you may have a medical malpractice case.
Some situations where medical negligence might have occurred include the failure to:
- Provide the right prenatal care
- Provide the right support during labor and delivery
- Diagnose and treat infection in the mother
- Diagnose and treat early labor
- Diagnose a dangerously large baby
- Manage an extended pregnancy
- Respond to bleeding
- Treat placental abruption
- Treat preeclampsia or maternal infections
- Safely manage labor and delivery or a delay in delivery
- Act on fetal heart monitor changes and evidence of fetal distress
- Correctly use a vacuum extractor or forceps during delivery
- Perform a timely cesarean section (C-section) to remove a baby in distress
- Successfully resuscitate and intubate a newborn
Other conditions for a newborn may result in cerebral palsy:
- Severe brain injury or head trauma
- Severe dehydration
- Genetic damage
- Bacterial meningitis
- Severe jaundice
- Maternal infection such as rubella
Robins Kaplan makes a difference in cerebral palsy cases
If your child suffered a birth injury that resulted in cerebral palsy during your pregnancy or at the time of delivery, we may be able to help you.
Our team has extensive resources at its fingertips, including experienced trial attorneys, medical analysts and experts. Our team will support you during the process of researching the case, determining if malpractice has occurred and pursing damages.
Choosing Robins Kaplan means putting the odds on your side.
Description of Incident
Description of Damages
Description of Awards
Description of Incident Doctor and paramedic malpractice.Description of Damages Resulted in birth injury and cerebral palsy.Description of Awards $4.4 million verdict.
Description of Incident Doctor delayed ordering a C-section after many repeated attempts at a vacuum delivery.Description of Damages Resulted in child suffering a hypoxic brain injury during birth, causing cerebral palsy, permanent neurological delays, and developmental delays.Description of Awards Settled in mediation for $5.6 million.
Description of Incident Medical negligence and treatment of a mother during labor and delivery.Description of Damages Resulted in cerebral palsy and developmental delays for the child.Description of Awards $4.25 million settlement.